11. Re: DC power for SD 722

Subject: 11. Re: DC power for SD 722
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:55 pm ((PST))
At 12:55 PM -0800 11/21/09, Dan Dugan wrote:

>John Hartog, you wrote,
>
>>>  Wire it either:
>>>
>>>  pin-1 to negative (-)
>>>  pin-4 to positive (+)
>>>
>>>  OR
>>>
>>>  pin-2 to negative (-)
>>>  pin-3 to positive (+)
>
>Can you explain why not both pairs? My understanding was always 1 &
>4 (to power) and optionally add 2 & 3 (to charge).

The way I read page 52 of the manual, both pairings provide power
from the external battery. Its a matter of whether the recorder must
be turned ON to charge the internal battery (using 1/4), or wired to
charge the internal battery when the unit is OFF as well (using 2/3).

I checked my connectors. I have an older cable that has been wired
1/4 for years and one I wired 2/3 as well. The 1/4 worked fine before
the 744T hardware upgrade and I have no conclusive evidence that the
wiring to 2/3 has really changed anything as yet because I use a
large capacity battery and avoid the switch-over 95% of the time. I
hate loosing files.

Rich might be able to say why one would use 2/3 over 1/4. The SD
forum has little on the subject except for Rich's string. They
ignored Michael Oates' question to the core of the matter.  Kind of
amazing this has remained a mystery so long.

>>  Wired either way, my 702 fails the switch-over almost every time.
>
>I assume you mean every time external battery is low? I've always
>had a good switch-over when I pull the plug, but not with low
>battery.

Its my understanding that the Steca box senses the low voltage point
in the external battery and effectively "pulls the plug" to the
external battery. Sound like it might work for your 744T. Installing
one on my 744T is on my winter list of projects. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D