Re: Sony PCM-M10 first impressions

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 first impressions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:16 pm ((PST))
At 6:13 PM +0000 11/3/09, lerake wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Ernst,
>>  As you seem to be predicting, narrow. The M10's cousins, the D-50 and
>>  D-1 and other pocket recorders with minimally separated mics were
>>  compared by Matt Blaze and commented upon by group members:
>>
>><http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2009-07/msg00237.html>http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2009-07/msg00237.html
>>  or
>>  <http://tinyurl.com/ydyhzs6>http://tinyurl.com/ydyhzs6
>>  Click on the "thread" button and you can walk through the posts and
>>  get the link to the tests.
>>  Rob D.
>>

>Hi Rob,
>
>Yes, but those at least are cardioids, so you get a more
>'traditional' stereo image (XY, etc.). I'm pretty surprised to see
>Sony move to omnis with this recorder; it doesn't seem to make any
>sense.
>
>I'll be really interested to hear any comparison recordings between
>this and the other Sonys, or between what seems to be its closest
>competitor in size, price, and audio quality, the Edirol R09-HR....
>
>-Ernst

Hi Ernst--

Yes, and some recordists prefer coincident stereo arrays. I'm curious
myself if someone feels that the arrays in particular pocket
recorders perform better, especially in natural locations. The
techniques I consider for distant subjects and ambience are quite
different from those I consider for close subjects.

A few recordists are adding a high density foam baffle between the
proximate capsules for additional separation and more lateral spread.
Opposing omni's, though not ideal, could be more effective towards
this goal than cardioids in X-Y or cardioids separated a couple of
inches and directed forward.  Of course, its challenging to jointly
analyze stereo imaging performance because our monitoring systems
differ as well. Its probably tougher yet for subtle differences in
pocket recorder stereo imaging.

Extending Oryoki's analogy that pocket recorders are very well-suited
for taking the audio equivalent of "snap shots," one might note that
there aren't quality, wide angle lenses on entry level cameras.  For
striking imagery with distant subjects, I'd certainly rely on an
external mic array. Rob D.