Is this a locust or insect of some type?

Subject: Is this a locust or insect of some type?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:42 am ((PDT))
An alligator would make gardening interesting.

I think it might be a Jerusalem cricket (genus Stenopelmatus).
http://www.answers.com/topic/jerusalem-cricket#Song (scroll down,
sound sample too)

Apparently, the different species produce different songs and though
they are not common up here in SW Wisconsin, I have seen them.
Ironically, they can't hear airborne sounds, only vibrations trough
their bodies. I haven't found anything specific about the
"winding-down" characteristic yet. This feature is so pronounced in
the recordings Stan & I have it raises some question about the ID in
my mind, but everything else lines-up pretty well. Rob D.

  = = = =