Re: Is this a locust or insect of some type?

Subject: Re: Is this a locust or insect of some type?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:58 pm ((PDT))
Stan and John-
Yes, I'd say very definitely the same. We're only a few hundred miles apart.

The high volume, low pitch and "winding down" qualities baffle me. I
keep imagining the sound-maker as being extremely close. Stan, is
there any chance the animal could have been using a nearby wood
surface as a sounding board in your recording?  A locust seem like a
good guess to me. Their wings are pretty rigid and I think some of
them have a hollowness in their bodies they use for amplification.
Rob D.

  = = =

At 4:58 AM +0000 9/21/09, hartogj wrote:

>Hi Stan,
>
>Rob Danielson posted a very similar mystery over on the other side.

>Here is a copy of Rob's message:
>
>"Hi-
>Here's a new nocturnal encounter (for me) that is so distinctive I'm
>hoping someone might recognize it.
>
><http://tinyurl.com/mxgatu>http://tinyurl.com/mxgatu QuickTime movie (3.4 mb)
>
><http://tinyurl.com/nguztn>http://tinyurl.com/nguztn .mp3 (5 mb)
>
>There are four segments:
>
>~0 - 22 secs The critter in the distance to the right.
>
>~22 - 42 secs The critter to the right with a field-mouse sized
>mammal near the mic for a sense of scale.
>
>~ 42 - 2:11 Another critter? perhaps using the 3/4" X 3.5" X 16"
>wooden board on the bottom of the mic rig as a sounding board.
>
>~2:11 - 2:26. The same critter with another in the distance to the right.
>
>My best guess is an insect, beating wings/legs perhaps? I do not
>think I've heard this caller before recording it last night. Thanks
>for your help; I'd love to know what it is. Rob D.
>--"
>
>John Hartog
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>
>"stancourtney" <> wrote:
>>
>>  I recorded this unusual sounds a couple of nights ago in an
>>oak-hickory forest here in Central Illinois. The recorder was left
>>running unattended for 2 nights.
>>
>>  I am thinking some type of locust or insect, probably too late for frogs.
>>

>><http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/2009.09.19.mp3>http://www.stancourtney.com/sounds/2009.09.19.mp3
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>
>>  Stan Courtney
>>
>>  Central Illinois

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: