Fwd: Re: [Nature Recordists] Surround Array Design, was Re: Do we st

Subject: Fwd: Re: [Nature Recordists] Surround Array Design, was Re: Do we st
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm ((PDT))
At 3:59 PM +0000 9/13/09, wildlifeanalysis wrote:

>  > >The microphones I want to get are going to supplement a Sennheiser
>  > >30/40 M/S pair for use in surround recordings.
>  >
>  > This is an "array design" question that others can entertain. I
>  > personally think that a rear pair comprised of head-spaced, baffled
>  > wide cardioid mics angled in the 60-80 degree range are a pretty good
>  > match with the way the Figure 8 covers the sides at 180 degrees in
>  > the front. Other array combinations might be more preferable, but
>  > that's a larger topic. There's quite a bit of previous discussion
>  > about "angle + NT1" Rob D.
>
>Hi Rob.
>
>Actually, my whole line of questioning was directed at building a
>surround array based on the ones I saw (and heard) you and Rich use
>in Wisconsin :)
>
>Since I do not have the budget to build something from scratch, I
>was looking to build an array incorporating gear that I already
>have, the Sennheiser MS pair. So the two real requirements of this
>surround rig is 1) that one end of it is MS stereo and 2) the
>deployment location will have extreme humidity. I suppose number 3
>requirement is microphone price, preferably under a grand. A tall
>order which probably narrows the field to a few real choices.
>
>Thanks for this array design recommendation - this gives me a great
>starting point in building the test rig. Sounds like I was
>accidentally on the right track (at least for my requirements)!
>
>On the topic of preferable array combinations for surround
>recording... is this something that you might have written up
>someplace?

Hi David-
Nothing online as yet. The surround rig we picked-up in the hollow
Saturday morning at the campout had a M-S "front" and baffled NT1-A's
for the "rear"
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/images/DSCF1028_NT1-A_CenterFoamBaffleUmbtrella_Sm.jpg

I flipped the capsules in my NT1-A's
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT1-A_Mics/Capsule-Mod.htm
but its not difficult to use them in "side facing" configurations
using a vertical cradle made out of cut-away PVC abd rubber bands
similar to these:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/QuadPacConstruction/index.html

The one concern I might have in the Amazon with the NT1-A's is insect
sounds inducing some high frequency "edginess."  You can hear this
exaggeration in the insect component in the original recording that
JM recently posted in the "Microphone Noise Floor Problem" string.
These narrow bands are fixed as Richard describes. You can see the
numerous tiny notches in my EQ curve graphic:
http://tinyurl.com/okwpc6

As I think about it, another option is a pair of the AT4022 omni's.
They're spec'd at 13 dB(A) self-noise which is a good match for your
MKH's. Their actual self-noise performance might be lower like the
3203's capsules.  In either case, you really don't need ultra low
noise mics for recording in the tropics :-). I see one dealer has the
AT4022's specially priced: http://tinyurl.com/p7llev If you buy the
mics from a conscientious dealer with good inventory, they can
exchange a troublesome mic  faster than Tech Support.

As for a rear array for the 4022's, a "Parallel Boundary" design
http://www.trackseventeen.com/images/mic_arrays/mic_rigs_03.jpg with
a high density foam baffle behind the mics should be a good fit for a
M-S front. The barrier would be to reduce the rear pick-up on the
rear facing pair for less front/back confusion. Here are more of
Curt's arrays based on similar principles:
http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html As you saw, I've been
using sizeable spreads between the front and rear arrays based on the
local acoustics.  Half of a Rich Peet "Cube" would make a pretty
nifty rear array too, especially with some spread.

For a special recording opportunity like this, I'd consider taking 6
mics that have demonstrated good performance under humid conditions.
This time of year, you can test the new mics against your mkh's for
high humidity in a bathroom with a hot shower running. Rob D.