Re: at3032 - to buy or not to buy?

Subject: Re: at3032 - to buy or not to buy?
From: "Emanuele Costantini" lamacchiacost=
Date: Sun Sep 6, 2009 9:43 am ((PDT))

Hi Patrick,
honestly I don't see the point in change your configuration with two
similar microphones, but bigger.
In my arsenal I've got two 4060's and I use them quite often for field
recordings.
They are easy to bring around, light, very light. With some tape you
can stick them to a standard stereo bar and mic holder. I adapted a
zeppelin and a dead-cat to cut out the wind, I also have their own fur
and accessories. Everything can stay in little a box I can bring in my
pocket.
I built a jecklin disk I use sometimes when I can with great results.
They sound clear and bright, someone says "too bright" and in my point
of view is the brightness usually missing in all the projects.
Definitely I don't feel the need to replace them with anything else.
When I use something else is because I need to use other techniques
and other results.
Technically speaking the AT's are quieter and they have already the
XLR connector without using an adapter, but I never tried them,
probably they sound great and better than the DPA.
If you have the chance to try them out you should do a comparison
recording and make your choice.

If you find the 3032 for cheap you could risk buying it and try if you
like it more than the DPA, I think in any case will be pretty easy to
sell away the ones you don't want to use without loosing moneys.

Ema

> every now and then i spot an at3032 for sale (on ebay or craig's list)
> and i'm always tempted to pick it up. i currently do most of my
> recordings with omnis (dpa 4060's) and i'm wondering if buying them
> would make any sense, or if i'm just attracted because i know they're
> hard to come by. can anyone give me a good excuse to buy another pair
> of low-noise omnis, or convince me that i don't need them / won't use
> them if i've already got the 4060's? i know the 3032's are technically
> quieter than the 4060's, but i don't know how they compare sound-
> wise...
>
> perhaps if i'm going to spend anything at all i should look for
> something other than omnis...
>
> talk some sense into me, please.
>
> patrick.
>
> --
>
> ||| www.murmerings.com |||
>

> Messages in this topic (1)Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Members

Emanuele Costantini

Sound, Media Engineer
Filmmaker

www.ecciproduzioni.com