Re: Recording Bats - what microphone to use?

Subject: Re: Recording Bats - what microphone to use?
From: "jtudor2005" jtudor2005
Date: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 am ((PDT))
--- In  "ndbdxr" <> wrote:

> The bat Sounds: sound even better than recordings I make with some of my bat
> detectors. Could you please tell me what recorder & mic you were using?
> And what sample rate?
Thanx Al

It was recorded with a tripod mounter Rode NT4 (inside the lovely Rode Blimp)
straight into a Sound Device 702 at around 21:30 (9:30 pm).

The original recording was a 24/96 wave file (18 minute file is 286Mb) that I
converted to MP3 for posting to the Nature Recordists Group back in January.

When I first posted the MP3 for identification, I'd converted it at too low a
sample rate and no one could hear the bat frequency. It took me a while to get
the sample rate right.

I hate MP3 format, it looses so much information. And yet companies that
manufacture MP3 players and iPod type electronics have convinced today's
consumers that MP3 is the best format to listen to music in. Unfortunately,
this generation doesn't know what good quality music sounds like any more.

Hope that helps

John