Re: inexpensive shotgun microphone

Subject: Re: inexpensive shotgun microphone
From: "ndbdxr" ndbdxr
Date: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 pm ((PDT))
Hi Folks,

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask this question again (basically). Looks
like it's been 6 years since the original poster asked.

Can anyone recommend a shotgun microphone for <$150?
Say, something substantially better than an ATR-55?

Last week, I picked up a cheap, no-name, shotgun mic off of e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390079254716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was just low on funds, and wanted to get the ball rolling...it still hasn't
arrived from HK. Can't wait to see how this thing will "perform"

I am currently without any shotgun mic, and I'm just getting into nature sound
recording again. Insects & birds mostly.
Although I have been recording bats faithfully since '07 - Using various bat
detectors, and any digital recorder with a 44.1 kHz sample rate that I can get
my hands on.

So, again, I was just curious if there is a mic out there in this price range
that will help pull in distant birds/insects (not too distant, of course!)

Thanks in advance!

Al
--- In  "Rob D." <> wrote:

> >anyone have recommendations for a <$150 shotgun
> >microphone for a beginner recordist - for recording birds?  I am
> >using a Sharp MD.  thanks in advance.
> >
> >----
>
> Though not a true shotgun (are there any for $150?), the Rode NT-3 is
> unidirectional, has a rugged case, better output than most mics in
> this price range [12 mV/Pa], is acceptably quiet [17dB(A)], runs on a
> 9v battery or phantom power, ~$170. You'd also need a shock mount
> with windscreen which you can make yourself. Rob

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: