Re: Recording Bats - what microphone to use?

Subject: Re: Recording Bats - what microphone to use?
From: "jtudor2005" jtudor2005
Date: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 pm ((PDT))
--- In  vickipowys <> wrote:

> Which species of Flying Fox do you have in your garden Syd?  I hope
> you can get some recordings of them!
>
> cheers,
>
> Vicki

Hi Vicki

We get these in our trees in Littlehampton. Mormopterus planiceps, the Sout=
hern Free-Tailed Bats (also known as Mastiff Bats).

This was captured in the background of a cricket recording (Yes, on Boxing =
Day hence the title)
http://acousticlight.net/blog/?p=3D402

Funny story.
Kerry had just returned home from minor surgery, so to give her some peace,=
 I slept in the spare room. At about 2:00 am and unable to move, she called=
 out that there was something flapping around in the room. Thinking either =
a large moth, or drug induced hallucinations, I went to investigate. Switch=
ing on the light, a small bat was orbiting the bedroom, like something from=
 a Bela Lugosi movie.

I shut the bedroom door and opened the en-suite, where it finally stopped a=
nd hung from the grill on the ceiling fan. Shutting the door, I went outsid=
e and took the screen off the window. After about 30 minutes it finally exi=
ted to freedom.

The strange thing is how we think it got into the house. A friend had visit=
ed wearing a 'Dryza Bone' that she usually leave hung in her stable. We thi=
nk it came in carried in a pocket. We now call her the 'bat lady'