2. Re: making metadata

Subject: 2. Re: making metadata
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:10 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Kim Cascone <> wrote:

 > > I think Audacity's metadata features are comparable to
 > > AP's but I'm not sure about generating a marker list. Ardour is
 > > making OS X headways.

 > yes, Audacity will switch between sonograph and waveform in the track
 > view, i.e. it doesn't open a new window and need you to manage it
 >
 > you can create a marker list that runs alongside the audio data
although
 > I am not sure how to export a wav or aiff with the marker data
embedded
 > in the file -- but Audacity will export a text list of markers and
times

I tried an export to .wav. Metadata (as set in the metadata editor
window) was included in the .wav file, but the file can only be 16 bit
and two channel. My 4-channel file was mixed down to stereo.

Marker list export is plain vanilla, tab/return delimited, three items
per label: start time, end time, text. Simple, perfect.

 > Ardour is very worthy of use for those on OS X and Linux -- I've been
 > singing its praises for a couple of months now and have not been
 > disappointed

I looked at the Ardour web site and couldn't find any comprehensive
description of the program. Does it provide sonogram display, does it
export files with metadata or export a label list?

-Dan Dugan

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: