12. Re: High Sample Rates

Subject: 12. Re: High Sample Rates
From: "Michael Oates" msohooates
Date: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 pm ((PDT))
Hi,

Just because a manufacture says the mics response goes up to 20kHz, does no=
t mean it will
not allow you record higher frequencies.

Take the following as an example that I recorded last month: The Sennheiser=
 MKH20
published response is 12Hz-20,000Hz yet when I recorded in my garden as a t=
est I recorded
a bat which had a strong signal ranging from 48kHz-65kHz. This was recorded=
 at 192kbps on
a SD 744T. I did see the bat visually, but not well enough to identify it.

See this sonogram: http://www.mikeoates.org/wildlife/img/sonogram-bat.jpg

Ok this is a particular good mic, but what ever you have just try it, it ma=
y work well
above 20kHz.

While I am here, can anyone identify this bat from the image, I believe it'=
s a Pipistrelle
but it has a higher frequency than other sonograms I have seen, could it be=
 a Soprano
Pipistrelle?

Mike