Re: making metadata

Subject: Re: making metadata
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am ((PDT))
At 10:44 PM -0700 8/17/09, Dan Dugan wrote:

>  > Have you tried Amadeus Pro? It has robust meta tag capability, text
>>  markers (exported as a .txt file with times from the start), handles
>>  long recordings very well with a pretty quick sonogram option.
>
>I just downloaded it. Looks close to what I need, but...
>
>Can't make markers in the sonogram window! The regular editing and
>sonogram windows have independent cursors so you can't find a spot in
>one and see it in the other, either.

Yep. We should encourage the programmer to toggle a sonogram view for
editing.I scan through the sonogram first and pencil down where
events are.  AP's Sonograms are awfully big to attach. I was thinking
of an overview still of a few minute long excerpt.

I think Audacity might toggle with "Spectrogram mode for visualizing
frequencies." The last couple of versions crash upon launch for me
(OSX -10.4.8). I think Audacity's metadata features are comparable to
AP's but I'm not sure about generating a marker list. Ardour is
making OS X headways.

>Also can't open split files as multitrack.

Split Stereo Files? Whoa Dan, you are a PT veteran! :-) The
multi-track features of AP are far from drag and drop. For Quad Mono
files, open the Front Left file, open the Front Right file to be
added to an adjacent track in the timeline, copy it to the buffer.
Select the Front file, use Edit ->Paste to New Track. Repeat for the
rear channels. Once I have the quads in, I make them interleaved
pairs, make the markers I want, export the markers list and finally
save the interleaved Front and Back files as flacs. My flow is slow
enough without mono .wavs and aiffs to manage. Doable in Audacity as
well.

Were you set-up to play the surround file in your browser? Rob D.

>So close...
>
>-Dan

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: