Re: Low budget Insect recording

Subject: Re: Low budget Insect recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Aug 9, 2009 12:11 am ((PDT))
At 5:58 AM +0000 8/9/09, Al wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>My goal is to record various singing insects at a distance of about
>30 yards. I was just wondering if anyone could share any ideas, or
>have any suggestions for low cost recorders and microphones that
>would produce decent results? Perhaps someone is currently using a
>low-cost set-up and getting good results? The best recorder I
>currently own, is a new Zoom H2.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Al

Hi Al--

On a minimum budget and to speed-up the learning process, I'd buy a
half dozen Panasonic WM-61A mic capsules and try them many stereo (2
mic) arrays that use omnidirectional mics. You can fashion most of
the mounting materials out of inexpensive materials. Search "DIY
stereo mics" on the web. Curt's rigs are a great place to start (and
finish). http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html  The Panasonic
capsules are smaller, run on PIP from the H2 and can be mounted in
the same locations as the mics he's using.

These could be the  Panasonic WM-61A mic capsules already soldered-up
with clips: http://tinyurl.com/m6qrft  You can email the seller and
ask what capsule types they are.  If not, I'll try and help you find
some. <email > Recording at many distances including much
closer is also a must try. Rob D.