Re: How high do you put your mic?

Subject: Re: How high do you put your mic?
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat Aug 8, 2009 5:21 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the detailed descriptions of your mic placement methods.

Another aspect of mic placement is the vertical angle of the mics.
The difference though slight adjustments up or down can be huge.  This effect
can usually also be heard by tipping ones head up and down. After picking a
spot and determining mic height, I usually aim the mics in the general
directions of the subject and then monitor while first turning left and right
and next tipping the mics up and down - listening for a desired tonal balance.

This fine tuning can be very difficult in louder ambient settings because
leakage from outside interacts with monitored sounds in the headphones thus
rendering a pretty much useless perspective. Any tips for determining best
vertical angle without monitoring?

John Hartog