Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stereo te

Subject: Discussing Stereo Techniques for Seascape on Location (was Stereo te
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am ((PDT))
Mike <> wrote:

>Hi John,
>Sorry your having codec problems - as Rob kindly pointed out
>Audacity and Amadeus Pro should decode the .ogg files.
>
>One that was missing from the original list was the swooshing sound
>as the wave approaches, its linked below:-
>
><http://urlme.net/audio/nt4badpos.ogg>http://urlme.net/audio/nt4badpos.ogg
>
>Tonight Ill capture the beach from a distance moving closer with a
>mind to get enough material for a sea mix, shame I didnt bring
>another low noise recorder. With the head and NT4 placed at the
>front it may of helped the center imaging. Although its fairly
>straight forward to adjust the stereo width from the head to make it
>sound like an incident mic.
>
>The NT4 recordings are close micing the waves, around 1 ft above
>them I was mainly interested in the shells moving around. / the head
>is around 6ft above - I do have recordings where the NT4 is at the
>same position as the head.

I bet ya' a marshmello that raising the NT-4 doesn't significantly
change its marginal stereo imaging of distant events. There should be
some of those around.

>I should point out going into the 'field' and attempting to capture
>the sea sound scape is a lot more challenging that I originally
>anticipated - It gives me a whole new respect for those that manage
>such stunning results. Im thinking of recordings from Bernie Krause
>and Gordon Hempton in particular.
>
>The science of array construction vs the actual use in the field is
>rather different. Ive learned many things during the last few days.

Having moving pink noise with diverse horizontal and depth positions
is a great environment for testing stereo arrays and one's micing
strategies.  Great to have good, fully enclosed phones for this
situation. You can press in on the phones with your hands to lessen
the bass that tends to leak in and make it hard to hear the lower mid
roars.

I agree that the NT4's strength is extreme proximity. The head, to
capitalize on its precise treble imaging across the center might be
best aimed to cover a range of 8 - 20 feet? (Given the loudness of
the sounds at greater distance).

Three rigs recording at once occurs to me: (1) NT-4 very close to
beach detail, (2) the head rig a few feet above this and (3) a make
shift Parallel Boundary rig up on a bluff, or lacking that feature,
back from the beach another 15-70 feet for the horizon? The PB rig
might provide a higher contrast left-right "frame" of the horizon
events for the mid distance head imagery to "settle into" in the mix.
Think you could coax some usable material out of your H2's mic inputs
in this louder setting for two simultaneously running rigs? Rob D.

>kind regards,
>-Mike.
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi John
>  > For PC, Mac and Linux, Audacity should open .ogg files natively.
>  >
><http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/>http://audacity.sourceforge.net=
/download/
>  >
>  > Another suited app for Mac is Amadeus Pro
>  >
><http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusDownload.html>http://www.hairersoft.com/=
AmadeusDownload.html
>(free demo)
>  >
>  > Spatially, based on these two samples, the head rig seems to create
>  > more lateral expanse or horizon with sense of depth and movement for
>  > waves/events at a pretty good distance. 150'? The X-Y array tends
>  > "freeze" distant events in the center of the stereo field portraying
>  > motion for events that are very close. Rob D.
>  >
>  >
>  > At 5:37 AM +0000 7/10/09, John Hartog wrote:
>  > >Hi Mike, It would be fun to listen to your recording, but I come
>  > >across ogg files so seldom I'm not sure what software to use. At any
>  > >rate, they don't open in my browser (Firefox) or Audition 1.5. Any
>  > >suggestions for the simplest way to listen to them. Or any chance
>  > >you could post MP3 versions?
>  > >
>  > >John Hartog
>  > >
>  > >--- In
>  > ><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com><naturerecordists%4=
Message: 0yahoogroups.
Subject: com>
dio/mzknicespotbadmusic.ogg><http://urlme.net/audio/mzknicespotbadmusic.ogg=
>http://urlme.net/audio/mzknicespotbadmusic.ogg
>  > >> Im standing about 30 ft from the shoreline in about 2 Ft of water,
>  > >>heads on a tripod, mine was looking at the stars at this point..
>  > >>
>  > >> Ive yet to venture into soundfield mics, lack of channels /
>  > >>recorder is one reason - Im rather fond of binaural setups and a
>  > >>well placed ORTFish rig using NT1A's.
>  > >>
>  > >> BR,
>  > >> Mike.
>  > >> On location & drying his feet.
>  > >>
>  > >><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com><naturerecordists%=
Message: 40yahoogroups.