1. Re: Powering SD7xx recorders & H2 (was Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09

Subject: 1. Re: Powering SD7xx recorders & H2 (was Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09
From: "Richard L. Hess" richardlhess
Date: Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:39 am ((PDT))
At 10:52 PM 2009-07-02, Rob Danielson wrote:
>I hate losing
>recordings and the extra sweat makes me feel like I'm accomplishing
>_something_ even if just aerobic exercise. ;-)

There are large (and lighter) Li-ion packs available, but they are
more dangerous. There was a DSL cabinet in Texas that had the battery
blow through the stainless steel cabinet, if I recall correctly. I
think the power density of the Li-ion based on weight is at least 4x
better than the AGM. Everything has a price and the Li-ion is much
more expensive than the AGM as well.

> >http://richardhess.com/notes/2009/04/13/zoom-h-2-line-input/
>
>I'm experimenting with the H2 line input now. Mike sent me a test
>I'll listen to too. I now see why Curt found the default level of
>"100" on the H2 to be more sensitive than most -10dB line inputs.

Yes it is, hence my installation of a fixed pad now and plan to use a
separate adjustable output on the Yamaha board in the new
installation at church.

>I'll see if I can get a sense of how limited the dynamic range is as
>a result.  Have you determined for sure whether the line input gain
>is downstream from the A-D?

I am satisfied from its behaviour that it is. The link in the quote
above is all I have really documented on it. What I found is that if
you decrease the level from 100, you do not get any lower
sensitivity, but the clipping point drops from 0 dBFS as you go
below100. It is truly brain dead. Apparently the H4n is also
brain-dead with the noise in the main mic preamps.

I see the H2 as a good line-level device if you treat it cautiously
and an amazing point-and-shoot field recorder.

For my Dad's memorial service, I recorded with both the SD722 and the
H2. The H2 was on the mic stand at the back of the boom, recording in
quad mode. The mic boom held my Neumann KMS-105 and towards the base
of the stand I had a DPA4006TL.

For the spoken portions from the podium, I'm going to use the Neumann
with some room simulator added in (the room and its HVAC system were
underwhelming). For the music portions, I'm using the rear 120-degree
H2 stereo.

The worst recording was the mono room with the DPA but the 90-degree
H2 pair on the spoken portions was more than passable, but the
Neumann plus room simulator makes it really good.

>Sorry to hear about your Dad. Quite a few of my friends are
>experiencing this stage in life.

Thanks, yes, it is. We knew it would come some time, but it happened
very quickly which was merciful but also hard to adjust to.

Regards,

Richard

Richard L. Hess
Aurora, Ontario, Canada       http://www.richardhess.com/