Re: [Nature Recordists] SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10
From: "escalation746" escalation746
Date: Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:56 pm ((PDT))
Rob Danielson wrote:
"If one is only going to use noisy mics (as Klas points out), then one
can save money and buy an Zoom H2. An LS-10 provides no real
advantage and still has more input noise than most recordists like
when they discover the important role mic-self noise can play. :-)"

I'd say the LS-10 has certain distinct advantages, namely:
* dedicated level control
* large and visible peak indicator
* great display, easily visible in daylight
* quick boot-up
* longer battery life
* wind shields for the mics
* 2GB memory built in
* seamless file splits
* great build quality and ergonomics

I know what you're saying with respect to the noise, but surely an improvem=
ent of 23dBA EIN is worth something? (Ref: Avisoft Bioacoustics)

In fact I just bought an LS-10. I think it's far and away the best hand-hel=
d digital recorder in a crowded market.

Klas Strandberg wrote:
"I love that recorder and see no reason to get something else."

I wouldn't go quite that far, however. I do have a Fostex FR-2LE for when I=
 don't mind carrying a whole lot more gear, in order to get a whole lot les=
s noise (with AT3032 pair).

I'm currently using both rigs, plus a shotgun and other items, for my thesi=
s composition.

-- robin