Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?

Subject: Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10 ?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:59 am ((PDT))
At 10:40 PM -0700 6/30/09, Aaron Ximm wrote:

>Fwiw did you look at the Sony PCM-D50? If money were not the
>discouraging factor I'd take that over the Olympus.
>
>aaron

Ditto. Search "LS-10 noise" in the list archive and you'll come
across a discussion where we determined that the input noise in the
LS-10 is much more audible than its moderate to good spec would
suggest.

I do have an agenda because I hate to see recordists buy gear that
won't work for making low noise recordings once they get the bug. :-)

If one is only going to use noisy mics (as Klas points out), then one
can save money and buy an Zoom H2. An LS-10 provides no real
advantage and still has more input noise than most recordists like
when they discover the important role mic-self noise can play. :-)

Using the best info we have at our disposal, only recorders with a
input noise measurement of about -124 dBu (A) or lower (higher
negative number) will allow one to record with mics that have very
low self noise [12 dB(A)]. Here are the units that we have confirmed:

Sony Hi-MD RH-1/M200     -124 dBu (all A-weighted)
Marantz PMD661          -125 dBu
Marantz PMD671          -125 dBu
Sony PCM-D50            -126 dBu
Tascam HD-P2            -127 dBu