Re: Hello all!

Subject: Re: Hello all!
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 pm ((PDT))
At 5:10 PM +0100 6/30/09, Michael Oates wrote:
>I also agree with John,
>
>Cardioid mics (i.e. NT1a) are much more prone to wind noise than
>omnis, so as discussed
>already go for some small electret omnis like WL-183s.

Hi Michael & John--

This is a good principal to keep in mind but I'm not sure it applies,
without qualification, to all large diaphragm mics. I have a surround
rigs with mixed diaphragm sizes. The front, small-diaphragm pair (mkh
cardioid and mkh fig 8) is always more affected by wind than the rear
NT1-A's and they all have identical sized/covered baskets. The
simple, dead air zeppelin design described in the "Ultimate Wind
Screen" discussion prompted by Rob Nichols works very effectively
with my Rode NT2000's for some reason. Could be that the proximate
wood barriers are providing some helpful influence. But, for Bruce's
demanding need, Rich Peet's vacuum filter approach is the surest bet
I know of. I rode in Rich's van at 40 mph with his "Shop Vac" wind
screen on top monitoring it with headphones. There was no wind noise;
one could hear the engine, tire sounds and field sparrows 50 yards
away very clearly. If I was going to record the surf at a hard to
reach beach, I'd make-up one of these and try it out at home in front
of fans. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of it but I'm sure Rich
would be happy to provide the needed info. The cartridges seem like
they would be suitably sized and shaped for NT1-A's. Instead of using
the supplied shock-mount, I'd try criss-crossing #64 rubber bands
inside the cartridges to support the mics. Two of these should
make-up well for ORTF with a baffle. Its likely Bruce is going to
have to take on a few extra ounces but it could be well worth it.

John's solution of placing the mics on the lee side of a wind break
can produce great results. If there's a rocky bluff at seaside, one
can aim the rig at the reflections from the bluff and tuck the rig
tight in behind a large rock. The cardioid polar patterns are
well-suited for this arrangement.  Rob D.