converting files from stereo to mono

Subject: converting files from stereo to mono
From: "Juan Mazar Barnett" juanmb11
Date: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:26 pm ((PDT))
Dear alls,

I noticed something odd, and I=B4ll try to explain.

I received large audio tape files of bird recordings made on
cassettes. They were digitised by the Cornell Lab.
They are stereo (S) files, and very heavy, c.60Mb, and slow to work with.

When I open them in Adobe audition or a Cool Edit, I get the two
horizontal bands or chanells of course (left and right). So I tried
something, that worked, to make the files smaller. I did "select all",
to select the 30 min of uninterrupted recording (representing a
cassette side), copied it, and pasted it on a new file which I chose
to be mono. Sure enough, I now see only one band or channell (be it
waveform or spectral) and the new file is c.30Mb. I still hear it as S
! (beats me why this happens, but it is a relief...).
Now, I noticed that instead of "painting" or selecting all of the
screen, I can just paint one of the two bands alone. And repeat the
same process, paste it in a new mono file, and save it as such. As in
the earlier exaple, the waveform display of that single band now
covers the whole screen.

And sure enough, now the new file instead of being half the original
60Mb monster is now c.15Mb (!!!!!!!!!). And of course it also beats me
why it STILL sounds in stereo...

So, besides the question of how come this happen, I wonder if it is ok
to do this, if I loose a lot of "info"  downsizing each file twice or
four times (from 60 to 15 Mb), or if there are any problems.
A 15 MB file is a lot easier to handle of course!

Sorry for the lenghty explaination, I hope I was clear and that some
of you may be able to enlighten me,

Juan