Re: museum installations - interactive displays

Subject: Re: museum installations - interactive displays
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Jun 9, 2009 7:50 pm ((PDT))
Push-a-button-hear-a-sound is a 1951 model of sound installation that
offers nothing for visitors because, as a 1989 study at the California
Academy of Sciences showed, only one out of 125 respondents were able
to identify all five of the bird sounds represented on the wall panels
with buttons to push for sound: 2 were able to identify 2 sounds, and
2 were able to identify one each. This was after walking only 10 feet
from the panels to our playback test system at the exit. When asked
why they pushed the buttons at all, 74% of the respondents claimed it
was because it gave them something to do (i.e. they were bored with
the exhibit).

After that study, we designed and patented the ISS=99 (Intelligent Show =

System=99) that delivers sound non-redundantly. The patent covers both
method and process. Soundscapes never repeat (in one's lifetime),
change levels based on crowd density so that they are always heard and
comfortable, they are completely interactive so that non-redundant
special and integegrated events are triggered by visitor presence,
and, finally, the system identifies the featured sounds in real time
for the visitor. If you'd like more information about this system,
which is now delivered by a single rack-mount multi-track (16 channel
I/O) MP3 player that even controls lighting. For more information,
contact me off list. The system is not expensive.

Bernie Krause

On Jun 9, 2009, at 6:59 PM, John Hartog wrote:

> I am wondering about methods to install some nature sounds in a
> wildlife refuge headquarters visitor center. The manager is thinking
> of something with buttons that the visitors can push to hear
> samplings of refuge soundscapes.
>
> A quick web search and I am looking at this ACS CFSound III:
> http://www.cfsound.com/index_CFSound.asp
>
> Thanks for any opinions.
>
> John Hartog

Wild Sanctuary