Magnus Robb's book "Petrels Night and Day"

Subject: Magnus Robb's book "Petrels Night and Day"
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:39 pm ((PDT))
Hi fellow listeners, I am reading with great interest the recently publishe=
d "Petrels Night and Day" by Magnus Robb and The Sound Approach--
http://www.soundapproach.co.uk/books/petrels.php
Congratulations to Magnus, who is a member of this group not heard from for=
 a while. If you are listening Magnus, my whole-hearted appreciation. Your =
efforts will help to bolster my appeals for site-access (and even funding),=
 to further pursue recording of Hawai`i seabirds. The text is rich in tips =
on techniques and timing. Though the book is concerned with primarily North=
 Atlantic seabirds, species extensively covered in the book that are=C2=A0a=
lso of interest in Hawaiian waters are Band-rumped Storm Petrel, Leach=E2=
=80=99s Storm Petrel and Bulwer=E2=80=99s Petrel. The Band-rumped (Oceanodr=
oma castro) is considered an endangered population here in Hawai`i. It is k=
nown to breed on my Island, but an active nest has never been observed. I h=
ave been tracking them for years at night with Telinga dish--in fact the ma=
in reason I got the dish in the first place. The possibility that this may =
be determined to be a new species based on vocalization (and I know the whe=
els of this
 kind of change turn very, very slowly) is very exciting, as species status=
 could greatly enhance conservation efforts.
=C2=A0
Magnus, who is also a composing musician, reveals the poet in himself, as t=
he text with "true-life-adventures" makes for an engaging read.

from Steve Howell's review=C2=A0in Jan '09 Birding--
"Like nocturnal landbirds, more and more species of nocturnal seabirds are =
being recongnized on the basis of their vocalizations"

Other glowing reviews--
http://oceanwanderersbooks.blogspot.com/2008/07/petrels-night-and-day-sound=
-approach.html
http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/36_2/36_2_202-203.pdf