Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: file types

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: file types
From: Marinos Koutsomichalis <>
do not worry about aliasing distortion,
even the cheapest converters place a filter prior to the actual=C2=A0
converting to ensure that only
frequencies below the nyquist will pass the gate.. So do not worry

In theory recording in 96K gives you better quantization and more=C2=A0
energy in the high frequency range (that though not audible, are=C2=A0
supposed to be conceived someway)
So, In most situations there is no significant audible difference=C2=A0
when selecting 96K -
this might not be the case if you used microphones that could deliver=C2=A0=

this high frequency energy
to the recording device in the first place, as most microphones=C2=A0
cannot.. Actually the only one I know is able to do so in sennheiser MKH
- or then again, if you plan not to down-sample @ 44100... maybe then=C2=A0=

it' s better to have them in the first place recorded @ 96K

but I think that most people will not understand any difference even=C2=A0=

in an A - B test...

all these about recording in 441K or 96K in the first place,
I am not sure if there will be any kind of degradation or artifacts=C2=A0
when downsampling from 96 to 44.1
but as I read once in a mastering handbook - every digital process=C2=A0
does has artifacts !!!