Recording Levels

Subject: Recording Levels
From: "Charles Veasey" veasec
Date: Thu May 7, 2009 6:13 pm ((PDT))
Hi,

Martyn's comment,

"You have obviously jacked the gain up in this clip making it difficult
to get around the hiss without being distracted."

reminded me that I wanted to ask you all about setting recording levels.
I'm using a MKH 30/40 and SD722 system as it seems that many other
people are on this list. When recording a generalized natural soundscape
such as a dawn chorus at a fair distance from any particular creature,
it appears unlikely that the recording device is going to clip at any
level the preamp is set.

I have been setting the preamp around +50-55.

In post, when using the recording not for a background but as the
subject matter, I will have to boost the gain 10-20 dB. I am new to this
recording system, but it seems that there is a point around +60 on the
SD's preamp that is starts to get exponentially nosier. So I think,
perhaps, it is best not to raise it all the way up.

Just looking for some thoughts on this from more experienced nature
recordists, particularly those who are using the same system.

thank you,
charles