Re: Need : ultra-miniature microphones

Subject: Re: Need : ultra-miniature microphones
From: "Robb Nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Wed May 6, 2009 12:12 pm ((PDT))
I've been wondering if I want to get into this one because, frankly, I
don't know a thing about it.  But it is an interesting concept to ponder.

To what would we be listening?  If there were no compliant void in the
bacteria's body, how would they modulate sound?  If they can't expand
and contract to create a pressure wave, than any sound that might result
from internal friction or with the liberation of gas molecules would
either be high ultrasound, given their physical limitations (their size
is much smaller than wavelength of any sound in our auditory range), or
it would be canceled out in a very short distance from the organism.
Can we really assume that all organisms make a sound?

 From a practical standpoint, it would seem a very difficult to isolate
the sound of a microorganism from the various sources of background noise.

But I'm purely speculating.  I'd love to know more if anybody has
knowledge of this.  I tried to follow Bernie's link, but I guess I'm too
cheap to pay for a subscription, just to scan the article.