Re: Need : ultra-miniature microphones

Subject: Re: Need : ultra-miniature microphones
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Wed May 6, 2009 10:23 am ((PDT))
Hi Thomas,
                    A sensor based on acoustic wave technology may be more =
apropriate than a traditional microphone or hydrophone in this case.

You can read about such sensors here:-

http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/1000/68/main.shtml

And an overview of biosensors:
http://www.sfam.org.uk/pdf/features/biosensors.pdf

If you can observe the critters, perhaps a high speed camera coupled to the
microscope with video to acoustic processing via max/msp or puredata may wo=
rk?

> .
> Nature recordists work in too narrow of a slice of the sonic spectrum.
> How about some innovations/inventions that expand the range into the
> realm of microbes, or, that translate microbial motions into the human
> range of hearing?

Probably because our ears have evolved for the intended spectrum, any work =
in
this area could be considered translation or transposition of one region on=
to another.

An interesting project if you can get it off the ground.

btw Piezo cantilever mic's are on my to-do list :)

BR,
Mike.