Re: Please assist with choice of equipment

Subject: Re: Please assist with choice of equipment
From: "Bernard Swart"
Date: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 am ((PDT))
Hi All

I live in a town called George in the Western Cape province of South Africa.

Have been attempting nature recording for about 40 years - used inferior
equipment.  Recording mostly of birds and insects and some mamals in
Southern Africa.

I am interested in analysing bird calls - applying techniques used in speech
analysis - do a bit of DSP, FFT, wavelet analysis, pattern recognision, HMM
and all that.

I am interested in gathering recordings for analysis - so need advice on
equipment.

Prefer to use "shotgun" type mic.

Looking at Sennheiser MKH-70 and Neuman KM82i;  Any comments about these?
Is there a Sennheiser 8000 series mic alternative for MKH-70?

What recorder would you suggest to complement the mic?

(I noticed that the Sennheiser 8000 series has a frequency responce of 35 Hz
- 50 KHz so this would then require a sampling speed of slightly more than
100 KHz te record the higher end frequecy, more than the "high resolution"
of the Marantz 661 recorder which I have just read about.)

I am looking forward to suggestions.

The sort of questions that I would like to investigate with sound analysis
is inter alia: