Re: Zoom H2 Line Inputs

Subject: Re: Zoom H2 Line Inputs
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:34 am ((PDT))
Richard Hess wrote:

> I have taken some time to characterize the line inputs of the H2 and
> have written it up here:
> http://richardhess.com/notes/2009/04/13/zoom-h-2-line-input/

Good stuff, Richard. Very helpful.

> The -10 dBV input spec only allows about 3-5 dB of headroom above
> -10 dBV. This is why, I think, some reports have indicated that the
> device shows some clipping.
>
> Don't ever run down the digital level control on a line input--it
> serves absolutely no purpose. The H/M/L switch does not work for the
> line input, which is too bad.

Okay... I think I'm finally tracking with you. You're saying the H2's
level control is downstream from the A/D conversion, and not before
it? And of course, it stands to reason in a device so inexpensive. Now
everything you're saying here is clicking for me.

> Remember, when we normally say a -10 dBV line level, we're referring
> to a lineup tone referenced to a VU meter and the meter lets through
> peaks of typically 10 dB (but can be more on some program material),
> so the input gain structure is a little bit too "hot" in the H2.
>
> I would use some sort of external pad so that if you set the H2 to
> 100 and then set an alignment tone at 0 VU and set that to at least
> -12 dBFS on the H2, preferably -18 dBFS.

I have a couple nice inline pads here. Will give them a try.

Thank you much!

Curt Olson