Re: Tascam DR-100 first impressions

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-100 first impressions
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm ((PDT))
Raimund Specht's web page comparing mic input noise now has an entry for th=
e XLR input of the Tascam DR-100:  -113 dBu, A weighted.
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

That's the same as the Tascam DR-07, and a long way from the -127 dBu mark =
set by the Tascam HD-P2.  -113 dBu is similar to the results recorded for t=
he mic input of the Marantz PMD620 and the Olympus LS-10 (low mic sensitivi=
ty, 16/44.1), for example.  The LS-10 is noticeably quieter when recording =
at 24/48.

In the same test, Dr. Specht recorded the Marantz PMD661's XLR mic input no=
ise to be -125 dBu.

There's a discussion of the DR-100 on the Tapers Section forum.  A couple o=
f people report 2.5 to 3 hour battery life when providing phantom power and=
 running with Tascam's BP-L2 Lithium-Ion battery.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119817.0.html

Also from Tapers Section is news that Tascam plans a firmware upgrade in th=
e next few weeks that will permit the DR-100 to digitize at 24/96 sampling =
rate.  Right now, the maximum rate is 24/48.

I read somewhere that someone did not have the same difficulty I did when f=
ormatting 8 GB SDHC cards.  So it's possible that some cards work better wi=
th the DR-100 than others.  I'll try to find details about which 8 GB cards=
 work OK.

--oryoki

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: