Re: Tascam DR-100 first impressions

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-100 first impressions
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Apr 4, 2009 12:05 pm ((PDT))
Re-reading my comments, I think I was being more grumpy than usual.

The DR-100 has many good qualities, including its metal case, overall build
quality, switches rather than menu choices for mic gain, phantom power and mic
input selection, individual gain dials for each input channel, decent quality
cardioid mics built in, remote control included in the box, and so on.

That said, the Marantz PMD661 looks like the winner in the "self-contained,
hand held, XLR input, phantom power" category of recorders. I read on the
Tapers Section forum that the PMD661 can last more than 8 hours while providing
phantom power, provided you use Lithium AA cells.

The Fostex FR-2LE is better still, but it's considerably larger and heavier.
And cheaper, too. I've seen the FR-2LE offered for less than $500 recently.
Check Google Shopping for current prices.

--oryoki