1. Re: cable length?

Subject: 1. Re: cable length?
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:36 am ((PDT))
Cable-gnawing squirrels!  Well that stuffs my idea!   Pity.   (Fortunately
our (Australian) possums don't seem interested in chewing on cable
insulation.)  Maybe if you could hang the cable from thin cords, the
squirrels wouldn't get it?

I'm no expert, and cables no doubt have changed in the last 30 years, but I
feel sure that for long as the insulation remains intact, cables would be
waterproof except perhaps at their ends, depending on how they are fixed.
And even if the outer insulation was chewed, the cable would still be
effective unless the insulation around the individual wires was also chewed.

For the auto-record gear I mentioned, CSIRO somehow "fixed" their dynamic
mics so that the were weather-proof, and they never gave any trouble for the
3 years they were out in the rainforest in a subtropical climate with an
annual rainfall of c. 80 inches.

Alas, the mechanical time-switches and open-reel recorders were not so
reliable, even inside their weather-proof steel cabinet.  One unexpected
problem:  the cabinet was not insect-proof, and one or more native
cockroaches decided that the recorder was their ideal home  ... and
eventually jammed the mechanism with their droppings!

Cheers

Syd