2. Re: cable length?

Subject: 2. Re: cable length?
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:27 pm ((PDT))
Being technically pretty ignorant, I haven't been following this thread, but
would like to offer a comment on the aspect mentioned below by Robb Nichols.

For a few years around 1970, I was operating some automatic recording
apparatus on loan from CSIRO, to monitor the vocal behaviour of lyrebirds.
Several mics were connected by long cables to a central weather-proof box
with the recorder and time-switches, set to record 10 seconds every 6
minutes, 6AM-6PM.

The CSIRO expert who advised me on its use emphasised that I must keep the
cables up off the ground - run them over tree branches, etc.  If on the
ground, the insulation would be chewed off by rats.

For what it is worth.

Syd Curtis (Brisbane, Australia)

[CSIRO = Australia's principal official scientific organisation.]