Re: Quiet places in Japan

Subject: Re: Quiet places in Japan
From: "Tom Williams" pterodax
Date: Wed Apr 8, 2009 7:46 am ((PDT))
Justin,

If you have Google Earth installed, try here:

http://www.globalais.net/dafifkml/

Clicking the "Initialize" link near the top of that page will download a KM=
file for Google Earth which will allow it to display aviation navigation
data for the entire world. The data is organised into subfolders within you=
GE Temporary Places folder. For your purposes the relevant data is containe=
within the 4 "ATS Routes" folders for Japan.

These are the primary routes followed by commercial flights. In the vicinit=
or an airport they will deviate from these along a different set of routes
designed to guide them to/from the runways, so if you're interested in the
area around a specific airport let me know and I'll try and track down the
data for that airport. Also note that not all of the routes shown will
necessarily be in regular use, so just because an area is located near to
one doesn't automatically mean there will be disturbance. On the other hand=
,
private and military aviation routinely operates away from these routes, so
equally there's nowhere where freedom from aircraft noise is guaranteed!

As for when to go, my experience here in the UK (another densely populated
island) is that planes can ruin a recording 24/7/365, but your best chance
of avoiding them is likely to be in the early hours of the morning, when
noise abatement laws restrict the number of arrivals and departures from
airports.

Hope this helps!

Tom W.