Re: cable length?

Subject: Re: cable length?
From: "Robb Nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:18 am ((PDT))
If you're recording in mono, you might be better served with a coax.  In
fact, unless you intend to protect your cable somehow from pesky rodents
and others that very well may chew though your cable over time, you
might even want to go with an underground RG6 (cable TV stuff).  This
might scare some cable fanatics out there, but you can buy a 1000' spool
for a hundred bucks, it's really tough, and the capacitance is a quarter
of the Belden 8451--which is to say that it will quadruple the low
frequency cutoff relating to the cable.  I haven't used this for audio,
and perhaps some more knowledgeable person in the group could correct me
if I'm wrong, but I doubt you'd notice the difference in sound over a
cable designed for audio of the same capacitance given the other
limitations.

I agree that the better alternative would be to put the recorder or a
line driver of some kind closer to the mic if possible.

If you're still interested in a twisted pair, I've got a bunch of nice
low-capacitance stuff that is surplus:
http://www.aqaud.com/product.php?productid=3D24
I'd be willing to discount a 500' piece.

Best regards, Robb