Re: cable length?

Subject: Re: cable length?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:24 am ((PDT))
At 5:47 PM -0700 4/7/09, { brad brace } wrote:
>  >] ok, Gene has sent me a "frog logger" microphone (thanks!)
>
>now I'd like to run about 500' of 3.5mm stereo cable down to
>the creek (and maybe _in the creek -- the mic in a plastic
>soda bottle) behind my place where all the marvelous
>serenades occur this time of year...
>
>I'm thinking of recording direct to DVD/computer if
>possible... or HiMD
>
>is the cable length a problem?
>recommended vendors appreciated
>
>/:b

Hi Brad--
Might be a good idea to facilitate future stereo at the same time.
You can try a 500' unbalanced mic run with the same cable, but I'd
guess you'll need some preamplification or a balanced mic circuit.

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to use your Hi-MD recorder
with a 4-AA battery sled as a mic preamp, Set it up down by the creek
in something like a ziplock bag and use one, or two of Gene's 12'
extension cables to connect it to the mic(s). Don't use an extension
cable if you can get the recorder in a dry, safe spot without one.
Maybe tie-off the recorder/cable, especially if there are raccoons in
the area. Visitors are unavoidable but most will be content to sniff.

All of the HI-MD recorders I've used have stayed in "record-pause"
mode until the 4-AA battery sled runs down-- about 8 hours. You can
run DC power from the battery eliminator in your house out to the
Hi-MD a separate pair of wires to keep the recorder in "record-pause"
mode indefinitely.

The Hi-MD's headphone amp should provide enough signal to drive the
-10dB line level input on your computer. I'd record to the HD drive
and burn the files in data mode so I could give them useful file
names. Most computers can burn data CD's and record stereo to the Int
HD at the same time so you can keep-up with the tasks.

Wire-wise, I've been happy with this product:  1000' 4 conductor:
http://www.sjmediasystem.com/wp-3651-1000.html (this will give you
500' of cable with 4 pairs at 500'). Its only $30 more than 1000'  2
conductor: http://www.sjmediasystem.com/bl-1266a-1000.html (500' mono
audio and VDC)

The cable will last a long time if you support its weight buy another
tension wire. I use electric fence wire. On the ground it will get
stepped and tripped on and eventually develop issues. Animals don't
tend to chew on it where I am. Knock on vinyl.

If the frogs are loud, use "Lo Sens" mode.

Rob D.