Re: Yellowstone

Subject: Re: Yellowstone
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Wed Apr 1, 2009 9:29 am ((PDT))
Haven't had that problem, Dan. Because I've never powered my rigs w/
anything but 48V Phantom.
The original 30/40 set I bought in 1989 was compared with a couple of
new sets I bought in 2001 when
doing a field study. When I compared them, the difference between the
frequency response of the various
sets was not discernible. Neither was the sensitivity. The level at
the inputs was within 1/10th of a dB.
What was remarkable to me, was that I do not treat my mics well. When
traveling, I wrap them in my
underwear an tie rubber bands around the bundle. I bang them around
(not intentionally) and leave them
outside in high humidity...sometimes even full-on storms. Yet the
older set could not be differentiated, operationally,
from the newer, more recent models just out of the box.

I do recall that when in Ecuador (Amazonia) about 4 years ago, the
Senns failed after about 18 hours
in 100% humidity and a serious rainstorm...the only time I've had a
problem in 20 years. I switched to
the ECM55Bs as a back-up and got what I needed from that particular
habitat. After drying the Senns out
over a kerosene lamp flame (being careful to keep them away from the
carbon) for about 1/2 an hour,
everything worked, again.

It is possible that I've overlooked something in the process. If so,
I'd sure like to know where the
weakness lie so I can avoid those problems in the field.

Bernie

On Apr 1, 2009, at 8:42 AM, Dan Dugan wrote:

> Bernie, you wrote about MKH-series mics,
>
> > And they
> > calibrate extremely accurately between different
> > comparable systems.
>
> I've always assumed that must be true, but my faith was shaken
> recently. A tech at Sennheiser taught me how to "align" the
> electronics of an MKH mic, and when the one I was repairing was on the
> money the sensitivity increased many dB! Now my question is (and I
> should ask him), how often do MKH mics get out of alignment?
>
> BTW the repair was necessitated by a blown capacitor, that probably
> caused by a barrel phantom-to-T-power adaptor that presented a pulse
> of 48V to the 12V T-power mic if it was hot-plugged. Most of the time
> they seem to be able to survive this insult, but not always, as the
> voltage rating of some internal caps is momentarily exceeded by a
> factor of like 3X.
>
> -Dan Dugan

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536