Re: Yellowstone

Subject: Re: Yellowstone
From: "Charles Veasey" veasec
Date: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:18 pm ((PDT))
I went to Yellowstone last summer. A truly magical place! After
experiencing that, I felt like I finally had a reference point for a
rich, diverse, non-human soundscape. I went during probably the busiest
time of the year, late July, with an intent on recording the steam vents
and geysers. Trucks and cars roared through the park all day long, so I
took to sleeping during the day and exploring the park at night. I
cannot express how incredible it was to be standing under this glorious
canopy of stars with steam rising from the earth listening to the
nightlife creatures. One night I was walking through a field in the
dark. As the sun rose, I set up my recorder only to find myself
surrounded by the snorts of buffaloes, the calls of elks, ducks, birds,
etc. I love symphonic music for its density and harmonic beauty, but can
honestly say that this wild symphony moved me more than Mozart had ever
done :)

This was my first nature field recording expedition, and it turned out
that my equipment was too noisy to capture the animal sounds. The mud
pots and steam vents are pretty loud, so I got some pretty good
recordings of them. They served as the beginnings of the Earth for my
on-going morphological soundscape composition I call the Hudson Mohawk
Sound Gate in which I tracked one geographic location throughout
pre/history into the present. I posted a 12 minute version online
recently at:

http://hudsonmohawksoundgate.org/Media.html

Yellowstone is indeed amazing, but the tourist can be annoying. That is
those who find their car to be the best place to experience nature. So
avoid the busiest time of the year.
Thanks for posting the BBC documentaries I'll bet there are great sounds
in them, and will have to look for them.

best,
charles

----
http://charlesveasey.com
http://hudsonmohawksoundgate.org

*sorry if this goes through more than once. I changed my email, and
trying to sort it out.