5. Re: Speakers for Editing

Subject: 5. Re: Speakers for Editing
From: "Robin Parmar" escalation746
Date: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:52 pm ((PDT))
> Yes, LOTS of possibilities in that range! Tannoy, Blue Sky,
> M audio, etc etc.

The last time I got to do a serious audition I was surprised at how few *de=
cent* choices existed in that range. For three hours I compared about ten p=
airs using music I had specially compiled. The Tannoys are uniformly horrib=
le, IMO, almost as bad as piping sound through a guitar amp. With M-audio a=
nd Roland the less said the better... they were toys. KRK and JBL poor as w=
ell. ESI and Event... no thanks. I wish I'd had the chance to hear Blue Sky=
.

Please note that I only tested in my price range up to about twice what I c=
ould afford. Maybe these makes have better speakers in a more expensive bra=
cket above =E2=82=AC1000. I don't know.

I think that if you are serious and want a flat-response, revealing near-fi=
eld that is not fatiguing, you need to compare the following (price per pai=
r):

=E2=82=AC1150: Mackie HR824 MK2
=E2=82=AC1000: Dynaudio BM5A
=E2=82=AC 960: Genelec 8030 APM
=E2=82=AC 800: Art A7
=E2=82=AC 260: Behringer Truth B2030A

I would love to be in a room with all of these. I am quite sure the Behring=
er would be the worst sounding of the lot. But then look at the price.

-- robin