Re: Recording quiet landscapes (SD 302 question)

Subject: Re: Recording quiet landscapes (SD 302 question)
From: "Michael Oates" msohooates
Date: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:16 am ((PDT))
Terence,

What I do is turn the gain and fader up full, which as you say is noisy,
then back off the gain a bit until it goes quiet again. If you think of the
gain knob as a clock face, it travels from about 7 O'clock (low) to 5
O'clock (full). I think about 4 O'clock is as high as I go. After that
adjust the fader to suit the levels. But if the levels are still to high
then turn the gain down to 3 O'clock or less if needed.

You should set the gain at a point where you are happy to turn up the fader
to full without adding any noise. There is no point in having a high gain
setting and turning the fader down to get the level right because you will
have degraded the audio.

Hope that helps,

Mike

>Hi all,
>
>My current setup is a SD302 to a PCM-d50 and using a Sennheiser MKH-418s o=
r Rode NT-1. My question is:

>When recording quiet ambient landscapes, what would be the best way (or yo=
ur own method) to set the levels for this using the 302s gain and fader?

>The area is so quiet that it barely registers on the 302 meters and if i t=
urn the fader or gain up a bit i start getting noticeable noise from the pr=
eamps. Any suggestions?