1. Help on uninterrupted recording for research monitoring

Subject: 1. Help on uninterrupted recording for research monitoring
From: "Po-Jen Chiang" neckrikulau
Date: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 am ((PDT))
Hi all,

I am developing a recording system to survey wildlife. I don't plan to
do spectrum analysis. I just want to document species occurrences. So I
plan to put out quite a few in different habitat. I have some ideas in
mind and have tried to check out archive to find people's experiences.
However, I still have some questions and appreciate advices to help me
carry on my researches.

Microphone choice is EM158, either from froglogger's weather proof
version or DIY. I choose this based on cost, S/N ratio, sensitivity,
easy to power than P48 and thus save battery power and its weight. I
need A LOT of mics. And these mics would stay in the wild for quite a
long time (over several months). Other good quality microphones are too
expensive.

My questions:
Message: 1.
Subject: For portable study
Because of weight issue, froglogger is not suitable. Battery would be
too heavy. I choose LS-10 because of its quality and battery
consumption. However, its manual said that WMA file format has 26 hours
limit. Although new firmware 1.10 said LS-10 could record over 2GB,
could someone tell me whether the LS-10 could record in WMA format
uninterruptedly? That is, when 26 hour limit is reached, LS-10 could
write a file and start a new file to continue recording? I am interested
in the WMA 64kbps formate, its manual said the frequency response could
reach 16kHz and I think this is sufficient for me to identify species.
If this is confirmed, I could go ahead and order quite a few LS-10s.
Message: 2.