Beletsky Bird Song book

Subject: Beletsky Bird Song book
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm ((PDT))
I have just bought "Bird Songs from around then World" by Les Beletsky,
being intrigued by the advertised sound player that comes with it.

As yet, I have only listened to the Australasian recordings.  Any Nat/rec
subscribers who have the book, may care to note re the entry for Noisy Mine=
(page 335) that while the portrait is unmistakably a Noisy Miner (Manorina
melanocephala), the sound is not.

The recording is of the allied species Manorina melanophrys, the Bell Miner=
.
Their vocalisations are very different.

The recordings are from the Macaulay Library at Cornell.  The similarity of
the two specific names males it seem likely that the wrong recording was
used by mistake, but if anyone from Cornell reads this, might I suggest tha=
the Library should check to make sure the recording is not incorrectly
identified.

Cheers

Syd Curtis (Brisbane, Australia)

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: