[Nature Recordists] cleaning the heads

Subject: [Nature Recordists] cleaning the heads
From: Juan Mazar Barnett <>
Hi all,

I have a small sony tape recorder (those with an inbuilt mic and so on)
that I want to use now to listen to old tapes and I was wondering if I
should try and clean the heads, to protect the tapes.

I remember I usually did that on my TCM 5000 with alcohol and a cotton bud.
Would this be ok?

Also, I found at home a small bottle of a TDK cleaning liquid - for head
cleaner
(CL-HC15E). I thought I could use this on the cotton buds instead of
alcohol.

Any ideas of what and how to do it?

thanks so much in advance,
juan