7. Re: Costa Rica

Subject: 7. Re: Costa Rica
From: "Justin ." justinasia
Date: Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:31 am ((PST))
I have spent some time living in the Himalayas. One region I could recommend
would be Ladakh. It is part of India and quite accessible from India proper,
either but bus (perhaps 2 or 3 days journey?) or by aeroplane. Away from the
city (which is really like a town), there are many quiet valleys. I wonder if
any of you have been there? The sky is also quite amazing - it's so clear that
you can see the milky way reaching all the way across the sky from horizon to
horizon.

However, being so barren in those uninhabited valleys, I wonder if there may be
a lack of wildlife to record?

You might also try to mountains in Himachal Pradesh and Utteranchal which are
covered in snow during the winter and therefore uninhabited. During Spring the
snow recedes and goat-herders, sometimes with cows also, bring their animals up
to eat the grass. It can take them days or more to get there and they may stay
there for the whole season. I would expect around those areas you could find
areas of outstanding beauty either before the shepherds get there or to areas
where they do not go. Then again, they also are part of the natural
landscape/soundscape, in a way.

Justin