Re: Sound-Transparent Rain Roof (was Ultimate Wind Screen

Subject: Re: Sound-Transparent Rain Roof (was Ultimate Wind Screen
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:30 am ((PST))
Sound-transparency, water-shedding and "stretchy-ness" would be
ideal. The later if flapping is to be minimized.

This is probably a more complicated solution than many would prefer,
but as some sort of frame to stretch the fabric on would probably be
necessary, one could make this strong and add grommets around the
perimeter for stretching water-shedding fabric with small bungy
cords. EMT conduit?  I'm thinking somewhere around 3' X 3' or
slightly larger. The diffusion material (which should be less prone
to flapping) could go on top of the water-shedding fabric, pulled
taut and separated an inch or two. This "roof" is then pitched so the
water rolls off and is positioned several feet above the rig. The big
draw-backs I can see is the need to have nearby trees or posts for
suspending it and you might need a water directing "gutter" for
downpours to reduce the pattering.

As per fabric choice, with this approach, as long as there are no
seams in the water-shedding fabric and the diffusion material doesn't
touch the taut fabric, materials such tent nylon should work fine.

Thanks for the tip, Justin. Here's another bushwalking.org resource,
part of it describing types of water repellent treatments:
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Fabrics.htm  It has a link to a
fabrics expert. Rob D.

  = = = = =