Re: Portable equipment for recording quiet flute in nature

Subject: Re: Portable equipment for recording quiet flute in nature
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 am ((PST))
At 4:34 PM +0000 1/29/09, John Moore wrote:
>Justin, I can't comment on the DPA mics, but I can comment on the
>PM-D50 as that was the first flash-based digital recorder I purchased
>late last year. While I found the compact size and battery use times
>as positives, I found the microphone in preamps to be a bit noisy. The
>internal mics are quite nice, and can be used for what you intend as
>long as you keep the recorder close to the source. The 1/4" tripod
>socket on the back allows you to set the recorder on a camera tripod,
>so you can position it as close as you need. And the adjustable mics
>allow you to modify the stereo soundstage to match your source.
>
>The biggest negative for me was the 1/8" mic/line input, even though
>it is a better grade metal input, it is problematic when you're
>handling or moving the unit... I always ended up with pops/noise in my
>recording. The 1/8" input is just not as solid a connection as an XLR
>input. I tried adding a small preamp, to handle the XLR inputs from my
>external mics, but there was still the issue of the 1/8" input. And
>adding the external preamp meant an extra piece of gear to fuss with.
>
>I ended up buying a used Fostex FR2, which has worked quite well for
>me, although it isn't anywhere near as small as the PM-D50. So- if
>you're concerned about size you would do well to look at the FR2-LE or
>the Marantz 661. I'm quite pleased with the Fostex preamps, especially
>with the Sennheiser ME62/64/66's or the R0de NT4 mics that I'm using,
>and I've heard that the FR2-LE preamps are also quite nice, and have a
>quiet noisefloor.
>
>Best of luck on your search!
>John "Alpha Flying Monkey" Moore
>sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com
>

><>

Hi John and Justin--
John's account should be extremely helpful to you, Justin, as he has
experience with both recorders. I would add that you would probably
not be able to hear the mic preamp/noise performance difference
between these two recorders unless you use mics with around 12 dB(A)
or _lower_ self-noise. The DPA 4060's have appreciable more
self-noise than this rating with 23dB9(A).

Unfortunately, as you'll see accounted for many times in the list
archives, very low self-noise performance and extremely small profile
is not available in any mics at this time. It seems that the Telinga
EM-23 with 14 dB(A) self-noise is the quietest mic one can get in a
reasonably small package (contact   These
mics would be a good match for the D50 recorder. The Fostex is
probably a better investment if you are considering exploring very
quiet mics down the road. The D50 will definitely suffice if you are
not planning mic upgrades.

There's quite a bit involved with mic selection and micing options.
If you'll contact me off list, I'll try to locate  some natural
location accordion recordings made with the stereo mic rig discussed
here:  http://tinyurl.com/bjbst2  I hope your search lands you
equipment that you enjoy using. Rob D.