Portable equipment for recording quiet flute in nature

Subject: Portable equipment for recording quiet flute in nature
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 pm ((PST))
Hello all
This is my first post, so thank you all for letting me join your
group. I am a musician in Japan, playing the bamboo flute called
shakuhachi.
I would like to get recording equipment, and I am hoping that you guys
can advise me as I think we have similar needs. I have basically 2 needs:

1) To record myself in a natural setting (for natural sound),
hopefully in a countryside temple where artificial (car etc) noise is
low but room acoustics are pleasant. I am fine with natural sounds
such as birds entering the recordings so no problem about that. This
is for producing a commercial CD for me to sell publicly so needs to
be proper quality.

2) I travel sometimes collecting field recordings from other players,
but need to fit in my sleeping bag etc so my recording gear needs to
be compact.

With this in mind, I need mics, a recorder, and possibly a preamp.
Mic:
I was thinking about a pair of DPA 4060. What do you think about that?
I like the idea because they are small, and also supposed to be
resistant to humidity. It gets very humid here in Summer. I heard that
Church Audio can change the microdot connectors too, and make a small
bettery supply so they can work with the PCM-D50.
Do you suppose they will be good enough sound quality? Or any other
preferences?
In the end mics are not the most essential thing to buy for my CD
recording as I could hire mics if the minimum sound quality is too
expensive, but I would still like something for my field recordings.

Recorder:
I am most drawn towards the SONY PCM-D50. The size is OK, battery life
very good and people say it has good sound quality. Do you think this
+ external mics would be good enough? I have also seen that a new
recorder has come out recently, the Marantz PMD661. How dose this
compare in terms of sound quality to the D50? One other possibility I
was considering was the Fostex FR-2LE but if I don't have to, I would
rather not go that large.

Preamp:
Rather than just mic+recorder, for this task do you think I would be
better to use mic+pre*recorder? If so, what combination of
pre+recorder would you recommend? My main concern would be to have it
all as small as possible so long as it is good enough for a nice CD. I
hope I could keep it also below $700 excluding mics.

Many thanks
Justin

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: