Re: Koke'e, Kaua'i, Dec 30 2008

Subject: Re: Koke'e, Kaua'i, Dec 30 2008
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am ((PST))
At 11:27 PM -0800 1/22/09, David Kuhn wrote:
>It's kind of quiet around the list, so here's something--
>Thunder and lightning were in the forecast for this night, so I set
>up to record and got four hours of rain and thunder, from 2100 to
>0100, as the weather system passed from south to north. This cut is
>one of the greatest hits, out of about 85 strikes--the reverb is
>from the many near-verticle walls of Waimea Canyon, the edge or
>which is only a couple hundred meters away.
>
>Walt-modified SASS with mkh20's to SD702, no bass-cut, no post-edit.
>Gain was set way down at 10 o'clock.
>
><http://soundshawaiian.com/mp3/Thun%201-13-08best%20>http://soundshawaiian=
.com/mp3/Thun%201-13-08best%20(2).mp3
>or
><http://tinyurl.com/bls45j>http://tinyurl.com/bls45j
>
>Aloha,
>David

Hi David--
The vertical axis imaging in my headphones is especially stunning.
The flutter in the reverb at the very first of the thunder seems to
be coming from above as well. As flutter usually occurs between two
(or more) roughly parallel reflecting surfaces, this has me curious.
Perhaps there are two parallel cloud shapes overhead or maybe the
flutter is happening between the land and the clouds if the clouds
are very low.

Can you describe the lie of the land with a little more detail? Are
you on a plateau above the canyon or within the canyon?  It could be
that the gain is so low that the most distant reflections are buried
by contrast. Based on the spatial cues I can detect, they suggest to
my ears that the mics are not within a canyon unless its a narrow one
(well less than 200 meters). I think I might detect a ground-level
vertical surface towards left center about 150 feet away and an
"opening" that extends away in the rear, moving a little to the
right.  If so, that surface on the left and the ground might be
involved with the flutter.  Thanks for sharing! Rob D.