Re: Introduce myself as new member

Subject: Re: Introduce myself as new member
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:16 am ((PST))
At 3:54 PM +0000 1/7/09, Dave Brocklebank wrote:
>Hi Rob,
>After reading charts and many posts on this site, i am considering
>buying the Rode NT2000 instead of the AT2035.

Hi Dave--

I love the four NT2000's I have. They seem to be very capable of
capturing subtleties of "ambience" inside and outside. I have used
them regularly for two years in situations I would previously used
proven, low-noise mics like the Sennheiser MKH series.  I feel
they're quieter, have smoother response in the lower mid-range and
they have a wider polar pattern in omni mode. I do not have extensive
experience recording in the tropics, but at your latitude, the
NT2000's should match or exceed high-humidity/high heat performance
of any mics I know of.

I would caution you to make sure that the unit(s) you get have serial
numbers of #5000 or higher. I did experience more popping in very
high humidity in early units with serial numbers around ~#2500. I'm
in the process of trying to get Rode to provide "matched pairs."

>  Do you have any suggestion for an arm to support the mic which
>could fit into a
>regular mic stand, so the stand can be out to the side and not between
>me and the students? I hope to put mic higher than my head height.

An extension arm made of 2" X 2" hardwood should support 2 mics. I'd
counter-lever the arm with and extension and some weight on the other
side.

>Looks like by buying the NT2000 i will also be able to use this in the
>field to record nature sounds. And then at a later date, possibly to
>buy a second one to use to capture stereo.

Ambience is so much better in stereo, I'd only consider a stereo rig,
even for start-up.

>I guess i will also need a Art Phantom III which seems lighter than
>the ART II, and correct cables to feed into the RH1.

I think only the III will do what you need. Any cable like this one:
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=3DAdpt2FXMSM&preadd=3Dacti=
on

>I see a pop shield (for close voice ?)

There are some good DIY ones on the web.

>Wind shield (for outdoors)

I'm very happy with my simple solution (hardware wire and fake fur).
The only mics/windscreen I've ever used with better performance in
wind are PZM's.

>Can you suggest anything else that would be useful? Especially to
>setup on a beach or on rocks beside the sea to capture sounds from the
>waves lapping the shore.

Yes, "mic placement" is extraordinarily important.  I'd try searching
this phrase in the archive first: http://tinyurl.com/8usloy   Lots
involved with placement techniques.

I can't speak for others about how much tech talk there should be,
but you've obviously spent a great deal of time researching the list
archive which reduces the "load" on the list considerably.
Rob D.