11. Re: Mono v. Stereo

Subject: 11. Re: Mono v. Stereo
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Thu Jan 1, 2009 2:04 am ((PST))
Syd Curtis wrote:

> With reference to the advantages of a stereo recording over mono,
would
> someone kindly give me references to a paper or papers in the
scientific
> literature where the extra information provided by stereo has been
used to
> advantage.  In case such papers are plentiful, my preferences would
be for
> birds, for behaviour, for songbirds.

Hello Syd,

To my (limited) knowledge, there are no such papers. At least, they
should be very rare.

The only application of stereo in the scientific research I know of
is the tracking of marine mammals or fish from a vessel that is
equipped with at least two spaced hydrophones. Such a setup would
allow to determine the bearing of the vocalizing animals relative to
the vessel. There is special software available that can display the
calculated bearing on a map.

If there was really a significant advantage for recording bird sounds
in stereo, I'm sure that this method would have already been
established among the incredibly large number of researchers dealing
with these things.

Best regards,
Raimund