1. Re: pressure build-up ring

Subject: 1. Re: pressure build-up ring
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:48 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Wil Hershberger"

> Yes, Walt you told me about the screw and the potential for O-ring
> damage.
> Do you have a photo of exactly how far forward the mics should be to
> take maximum advantage of the PZM coupling?

What you want is the diaphragm on the same plane as the housing face
(boundary). The idea is to eliminate the reflected wave from the pickup.
  The diaphragm of the MKH20 is pretty much even with the front end of
the housing body.  So, I place the housing flush with the face.

There's a photo of the mic in position in the mod SASS page:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/mod_sass.html

BTW, the boundary effect should give you about 4db increased signal for
the mic.  At least that's the figure quoted.  I've forgotten what the
figure for the pressure ring is, but I believe it's similar.